hey all! see below for more details. From: Patricia Lynn Date: Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM Subject: [fom] SSP Internship PositionMessage 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2008View Sourcehey all!---------- Forwarded message ----------
see below for more details.From: Patricia Lynn <patricia@...>---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Subject: [fom] SSP Internship Position
Please forward ...
Sludge Safety Project Internship Opportunity
The Sludge Safety Project (SSP) seeks an intern to help West Virginians build power and pass legislation in the 2009 legislative session. Depending on skills and experience, the legislative intern will perform the following tasks:
• Coordinate citizen lobby days at least weekly. This includes sending mailings, making phone calls and making sure people have rides to get to the Capitol; keeping track of where legislators stand on our issue; preparing for each lobby training; helping people navigate the hallways; and offering general support.
• Develop and improve informational packets and outreach materials such as postcards and letters to educate and move citizens to take action (make phone calls, meet with their legislator, write letters to the editor, etc.).
• Regularly check in with allies and lobbyists with the West Virginia Environmental Council, Council of Churches and Clean Elections; and stay informed on recent information, health articles, technical breakthroughs, etc. pertinent to sludge safety. Provide updates to the group.
• Set up meetings between citizens and their legislators to discuss important issues as needed.
Desired Skills and Qualifications Include:
• Strong interpersonal skills, not afraid to pick up the phone or meet new people
• Attention to detail and well organized
• Dependable and on time
• Self-motivated, able to work with limited supervision
• Basic understanding of the issue of sludge and water in the southern West Virginia coalfields.
• Basic understanding of the role legislation has in making change
• Able to create Word documents and send through email
• Experience with graphics and mail merge a plus
• Lobbying experience a plus
Internship involves some travel. Preferred base of operation is Charleston, West Virginia. Must be available to be at the state capitol at least two days per week.
Compensation and Hours:
Full or part time starting ASAP and committing through April 2009, the end of the legislative session. Stipend and mileage reimbursement provided, depending on commitment and experience.
How to Apply:
Send an email to patricia@... or call 304-235-2618. Deadline is rolling until we fill the position.
What is Sludge Safety Project?
SSP is a coalition of West Virginia communities and organizations working for clean water and community safety in the midst of coal waste sludge impoundments and underground coal sludge injections.We provide support to communities by building a capacity to organize and connecting people to resources that will support their efforts. We offer a forum for communities to work together across county lines for solidarity and policy change in the state. Together, we have passed state and county legislation, won emergency alert systems near impoundments and worked with communities to get clean drinking water to families whose wells are contaminated.
National Campaign Organizer
The Center for Victims of Torture
Join the campaigntobantorture.org
Agents of Change Coordinator