Here are the minutes of the Asha meeting held on 3/18/00. Attendees were
Sridhar, Sanjay, Subhash, Somdip, Nitish, Arun, Mamta, Amardeep, Sai,
-Giri briefly went through the financials of the chapter. The gist was
that if we raise as much as last year ($25,000; the goal then was
$20,000) we will be in a position to support more projects.
Our financial goal for this year is $25,000.
To this end the following needs to be done:
1) Send reminders to last year's donors.
2) Have a fundraiser at some point during the year.
3) Write proposals for funding by grant making foundations and companies.
4) Try to sell off as many year 2000 calenders as possible.
We have to also actively look for projects to support.
-Sai shared the responses that he got from FODRA with the rest of the
group. Some salient points are
1) The high dropout rate which was a reason for concern seems to be much
less from the statistics of the last few months of 1999 and early 2000.
2) Community participation in the project whereby the teacher was a local
was not always possible because most of the people there are first
generation learners i.e. their parents are not educated.
3) There is a training program that exits for teachers called DIET. It was
felt that some incentive be given to teachers who have gone through this
FODRA is now in a position for expansion which can be taken up by another
-Asha tables have to be set up at local events that are coming up
and some people have volunteered for this. Also a list of things that
have to taken to these events was made.
I will send the list of events and contacts in another mail.
-For the Asha president election Richa Govil candidacy was unanimously