Thanks to all who contributed ideas on how to release my dragon from it's
rubber prison. I don't think I can deal with soaking the paperclay master out
of the rubber. The only reason I was making a mold was because several people
wanted to purchase the original and I didn't want to part with it. Aside from
destroying the master, I think I would have a problem getting it all out.
Under the paperclay (which is like a very fine paper mache in clay form, there
is a plaster over wire structure that is pretty solid and strong.
I guess I was really asking if there were ideas on how to release the rubber
and fiberglass while keeping the master intact. I don't mind destroying the
mold. I did try isopropyl alcohol, but it started deteriorating the master,
so I stopped. Maybe if I proceed carefully and rip off small pieces of
rubber, I can later repair and repaint the master. I assume I'll have to cut
through the half that is encased in the fiberglass outer shell. It sounds
like Tom's suggestion to try kerosene to weaken and swell the rubber might be
the answer I'm looking for.